Sunday, February 20, 2011

Leaving Pune, Leaving home

I've gotten into a rhythm here in Pune, in a different way than Meg has. I've been working weekdays, at my normal job. Sure, it's different working here, for one I only get to talk to most of my team for about 30 minutes a day. Also, the work cafeteria is a blog post on it's own. But overall, I've been getting up, having breakfast with Meg, going to work, meeting Meg for dinner, relaxing and going to bed. I've settled in, feels like home.

Don't get my wrong, it's been a blast. Every day has been different and exciting, challenging in a million tiny ways. I love it here. But my routine has kept me from writing as many posts here as I wanted to. Every day I would think about writing something, but I just couldn't find the mental energy.

That started to change last weekend. Meg and I had a good discussion on aesthetics and chance, brought on by an art project my friend Dan was working on. Half way through through talkin' philosophy, I stopped and looked out at Pune. The bustling streets, the trees, the beautiful sunset, not to mention the giant bats that were just waking up and taking to the air. All it took was a second, and all the experiences I had been having came bubbling to the surface. The next day, on my way to work, everything I saw seemed significant and emotional. I pulled out my notebook soon after leaving the hotel, and over the next week, I scribbled down what I hope will be the seeds of a few posts to come.

For now, back to packing. It feels weird to leave Pune. I've been calling the hotel "home" for at least two weeks. We repacked and left a bunch of things we won't need at Peter's, sneaking in a tasty meal at Malakka Spice on the way. Spreading out our gear on the floor of hotel felt exactly like it did when we had laid it all out of our floor in Chicago. Tomorrow, we're once again leaving home.

3 comments:

  1. Work is done now? or will you be returning to work after the travel? Enjoy and soak it all in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing just how flexible and adpatable we humans are, isn't it? I wish you wonderful exciting (and safe and healthy) adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matty!!What about your birthday party with the dancing baby elephants and monkeys with cigars? Better yet, monkeys with cigars wearing big fancy western chaps that have been bedazzled riding on the baby elephants?? Now that's a Birthday party!!

    ReplyDelete